Monday, August 25, 2014

MEMORIES GARDENING SEWING

In one of my past lives I attended school in England and I still remember my favourite teacher quoting ....

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd
A host of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.
William Wordsworth 1770-1850

What inspired these nostalgic thoughts........
 
 
When Middle Son moved a few years ago he gave me a bag of these bulbs.... don't you think they
look happy and cheerful, and it makes me think Spring is just around the corner.
 
He has also been on holiday........ the cows don't need milking during this month, so he has a couple
of weeks off, but he kindly came and did some digging for me.    I wanted a plant removed from
behind the fishpond, and the clivea  thinning out.    I thought it would look rather good with the clivea at the back,   they are due to flower shortly and in the summer there is just the greenery.
So it inspired me to weed a tad more and put some mulch down ready for those hot days of summer.

 
We had a couple of rainy days so I took the advantage of persuading the Scot to come shopping.   I wanted a desk to fit into a small space in the lounge.   Nothing big and fancy but just small and neat.   'would you believe we found a real neat one' and it only cost $28.   The only problem it was a flat pack.    No worries says The Scot.    But the pictures tell a different story.
 
 
He always nags me...... READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.....in this instance he didn't ..... he knew how
it went together.   
 
Eventually I had a desk.    Doesn't it fit in neatly.

 
And the sewing mojo as finally returned.   I have just finished the 2nd pair of fingerless gloves for The Princess.    She wanted black ones for work.   My poor eyes didn't like that and it took slightly longer than usual.
 
I am now working on a present, no spoilers.   But have prepared my wall quilt for the dining room.
 
 
It needs 22 different fabrics, plus the background.   This took quite a bit of  planning on  my part, and I still haven't worked out the exact positions yet.   But I cant wait to start.
 

2 comments:

Vireya said...

We had to learn Wordsworth's Daffodils and recite it as a class in about grade 5. And Tennyson's Eagle. And Dennis' Triantiwontigongolope!

I'm excited to see your fabrics for the Flower Ball! Beautiful batiks.

Anonymous said...

Your Wordsworth poem was one I also remember and say when we view daffodils in flower.... is this genetic or a jolly good poet, or maybe a poem taught in all schools during the 1940 - 1980's???? Whatever, it is a good poem and your daffs do look cheery.
Your pond area and clivea's look all ready for hot sunny days - middle son did a good job there.
The desk is really neat and fits well - oh - and hubby laughed at your comments and told me to tell you - " Instructions are for reading when all else fails!" Well, for The Scot and him that is!!!!! Eyes are rolling - I say nothing..... :-D xxx
The wall quilt project looks complex and bright. By all accounts you will find that a challenge and fun. Happy quilting.xxx