Wednesday, March 21, 2012

NO HOUSEWORK

did I tell you how I love My Kindle..... and The Scot thought it was going to be another one of those fads (not that I have many) with another 'thingymabob' hanging around the house.   Well I have really proved him wrong there.
I have just finished The Winds of War~Herman Wouk what a read, 6 parts and 45 hours.  well that kept me quiet for a few days.  Although fiction there were many interesting historical facts about the 2nd World War.  Born in 1943  I can only remember butter and jam were not alowed together, and I was allowed to play with The Ration Books when they were no longer in use.   Living in the Midlands I don't think we saw too much of the planes and bombs.   Although there were many air raid shelters.  I have been told we used to sit under our table, it was one of those very solid thick carved leg affairs.  We did live not too far from Coventry where the beautiful Cathedral was bombed out.

Then on the recommendation of Molly I read " The Vanishing Act Of Esme Lennox" by  Maggie O'Farrell.  I agree with Molly - what a glorious read.  If you can find it, grab it and be prepared to just read until the last word has been read.   But this book troubled me.  I could hardly put it down and as soon as I finished I started to google ... I had so many un answered questions.  I have been thinking about it so much.  Guess thats the mark of a good read .... if you think about the book after you have finished.  Would you believe I have just started it again ..... to try to better understand and maybe pick up anything I missed.   I won't say any more as it would spoil it for you..  But do read it as soon as you can.    Oh and I don't think I agree with what they say the end was.  Now you will have to read it to find out won't you?
 If you can find "Esme" read it and tell us what you think about it.
The great advantage of The Kindle is that I buy my books from Audible.com  and these are in audible format so I get to sew while I read (listen) .... ahhh  what bliss

this is what I am working on at the moment




You will have to wait until its finished before I tell you what it is.  And that won't be too long as I have a book to finish lol.

But I did manage to do a little bit of online plastic burning.  This arrived today.



3 comments:

Molly said...

Such pretty stitching Birdy! And aren't you clever to figure out how to stitch and "read" at the same time! Now you'll have to read "After You'd Gone!" I'm still on my Maggie O'Farrell kick with "The Hand That First Held Mine." Not grabbing me like the other two but I'm not even half way yet.....

phil the pom said...

Hi Sis, can understand your love of the kindle we are enjoying ours but our taste is a bit different to yours it's the way to do it, the spring is here and we are enjoying it very much although we are in a droght area and hose pipes are banned from next month Eileen has her new I-pad she asks did you get her E-mail if so could you let her know tatty bye

Jules said...

Aww gosh, those air-raid shelters. My friend Janet was knocked over by a bike as she ran across the road from one - it was pulled down almost straight away! War had finished then. We still have an air-raid shelter in our garden, buried and covered as a raised rockery from about ten years after this house was built.
Your reading sunds good and I have made a note.
The stitch work is just beautiful - you know how I love this kind of work - so pretty.
xxxxxxxxxxx