Saturday, August 27, 2011

THE MONTH THAT WAS

I must say in one way I am glad that this month is almost passed as I have been so sick it hasn't been funny.

But on the flip side No1 Son is visiting from Taiwan, and as you can imagine we don't get to meet very often nowadays.
He has two Taiwanese friends with him.

 Whilst not staying with us they visit almost every day.  Its quite amazing to hear him chat with them in their mother tongue.  Michael speaks Australia English, but his friend Joy has only a few words but we are managing very well to understand each other.  She can't pronounce my name so she calls me Mother. lol.  And have you ever stopped to really think about the English language, the following is from an email on the Quilting List I belong to

We'll begin with a box, and the plural is boxes,

But the plural of ox becomes oxen, not oxes.

One fowl is a goose, but two are called geese,
Yet the plural of moose should never be meese.

You may find a lone mouse or a nest full of mice,
Yet the plural of house is houses, not hice.

If the plural of man is always called men,
Why shouldn't the plural of pan be called pen?

If I speak of my foot and show you my feet,
And I give you a boot, would a pair be called beet?

If one is a tooth and a whole set are teeth,
Why shouldn't the plural of booth be called beeth?

Then one may be that, and three would be those,
Yet hat in the plural would never be hose,

And the plural of cat is cats, not cose.
We speak of a brother and also of brethren,

But though we say mother, we never say methren.
Then the masculine pronouns are he, his and him,
But imagine the feminine: she, shis and shim!

Let's face it, English is a crazy language.
There is no egg in eggplant nor ham in hamburger;
neither apple nor pine in pineapple.
English muffins weren't invented in England.


We take English for granted, but if we explore its paradoxes,
we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square,
and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig.
And why is it that writers write but fingers don't fing,
grocers don't groce and hammers don't ham?

Doesn't it seem crazy that you can make amends but not one amend.
If you have a bunch of odds and ends
and get rid of all but one of them, what do you call it?


If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught?
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?
Sometimes I think all the folks who grew up speaking English
should be committed to an asylum for the verbally insane.


In what other language do people recite at a play and play at a recital?
We ship by truck but send cargo by ship.
We have noses that run and feet that smell.
We park in a driveway and drive in a parkway.
And how can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same,
while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites?


You have to marvel at the unique lunacy of a language
in which your house can burn up as it burns
down, in which you fill in a form by filling it out,
and in which an alarm goes off by going on.
And, in closing, if Father is Pop, how come Mother's not Mop?

I didn't compose this and my thanks and apologies to the author.
 
So give a thought to our non English speaking friends, I would not like to have to learn the language.
 
Amidst the turmoil of the month I have managed a little sewing.  Hexagons are on the go again and I think I have my Asian Quilt roughly planned out (but remember I do change my mind a lot).
 
And .... I did manage to finally get my PostCards stitched and mailed.  This months theme was "Free Choice"
Now I had some fabulous ideas ... a signpost ..... two gates with left and right written on them but leading into one tunnel.   Oh and so many other ideas.   I just didn't know what to do.   But I finally managed these
 
 
 

Oh and did I tell you that I Luv My Kindle.    I purchased a cover for it from ebay for the sum of 10cents.  I did have to pay $9 postage.  But it only cost me $10 and I am really pleased with it. 


Just need to make a fabric holdall for it.
Reading a fabulous book at the moment  
Prayers for Sale~Sandra Dallas    just the kind of book I enjoy.


3 comments:

Jules said...

Crikey birdy - you sure have made up for lost sickness time here! Very interesting and yes, our English is truly difficult to learn correctly. I could never grasp another language and have great respect for those who do.
How lovely to be called "Mother" by TP's friend - I understand that to be a great sign of respect.

Thank you for sharing and glad that you sound better now. Love and Hugs. xxx

Molly said...

Hello Mother Birdy! Sorry to hear you've been so ill....Hope you're on the mend now? English really is a nutty language---Talk about rules made to be broken! But it's craziness is why I love it so much! Hugs from here....Be well!

Sarah said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better! It's such a drag to be sick for a long time.