Sunday, October 24, 2010

PERFECTION

no, not me, I am definitely not a perfectionist evbg.

but this Sunday has been a perfect day.   Sunny although a little breezy and a tad cool.

so what to do.

This is what I was doing, binding a quilt.


Sorry I am not in the photo but when I went asked The Scot he was very busy studying the maps (on the inside of his eyelids.



 
Another perfection (well nearly) is the binding.   I have been quilting for over 30 years and always did my binding tops and bottoms.  Someone once mentioned mitred corners, but being the ole stick in the mud I never took them up on the offer of a lesson.  Then a few years ago I decided to have a go.  And really liked the look.   But just couldn't perfect it, so fumbled on in my usual fashion.   Until

I rarely buy magazines but always have a quick look to see if they are worth it.   and of late the Quilting Magazines have been offering a free DVD with certain editions.

One that took my fancy was
The Secrets to Perfect MITRED BORDERS and BINDINGS.
excellent.  
This is the best binding I have ever done and all thanks to the Magazine "Australian Patchwork & Quilting and the DVD by Marianne Roberts.  I can't thank you enough.

a full photo of quilt and label probably tomorrow.

5 comments:

Sally Westcott said...

I'm so impressed Sheila! Mitred corners are really scarey intially but once you get a grip they are great! I just love the finish.

Hugz to you and the Scot.

Julie said...

I'm impressed! It is true, you do learn something new every day!!!

Vickie said...

way to go Sheila, I so love the mitrered corners too,greta to see the Scott was being sun concious and keeping his face covered hehehe-heers Vickie

Jules said...

Oh dear - talk about a giggle! First the maps on the insides of eyelashes and then your story of mitred corners.

I DO NOT SEW OR QUILT - please note! BUT if - and that is a big IF, I have needed to bind anything - the only way I know is to mitre the corners! ( As you did on my much loved quilt birdie.) I am not good at this however, but the thought that I could have got away by doing the corners any other way, leaves me gasping! So Birdie dearest, you should have gone to the same school as me and had the same beady eyes hovering over your shoulder until you got it right!!! LOL Only problem is, it put me off for life and that was all I did really.... that and machine a straight line! Oh dear - no hope! rolflo But that quilt is lapping up the Auzzie sunshine and is truly lovely....

Elaine Adair said...

I don't understand how one can bind a quilt UNLESS it is with mitered corners? Maybe you could explain/show how you do that? I've made mitered corners always, and they have always been just fine, so I don't understand any alternative. ???