Wednesday, April 28, 2010

THE NORTH WIND DOTH BLOW

well not exactly, but it sure does feel like it here in Melbourne.  The weather decided it had had enough of Summer forget Autumn and here we are Winter.   brrrr only 18 degrees today.  Much too cold for The Scot and the birdwoman

The sewing has been rather slow, although the Postcards - due  middle of next month - are taking shape nicely.

But today was spent taking down the Summer QuiltWall hangings and the Summer bed quilt and hanging the Winter ones.

I also decided to try and put a bit of order into my storage system, all the quilts were taken out of the zip bags and I sorted into some order.

This is where most of them are stored



Firstly I changed the wall hanging in the bedroom.   This was going to be a Dear Jane Quilt,  hahaha I completed these blocks then decided ummmmm  other things to do.   so I put them together with these stitcheries



Of course the thick quilt had to be put on the bed


Sorry for the angle of the photo, but it was difficult to get it all in.

Moving on to the hallway.  These were difficult to get a full on photo.  But you will get the idea.

This is my Purple People Eater




Hearts Do Mend



This is the Quilt facing the Front Door.   This was made in 2001 to celebrate The Federation of Australia
note the number of states outlined in black.   This was how it was in 1901.   The fabrics were in a swap
made by the courageous Vicki of Zen of the Needle and Thread.  The idea was we sent 100 6in squares in the Federation Colours, and she very bravely with the kind help of her Mum, swapped them around and sent them back.  Because of a small mix up, we finished with 101, I managed to use all of the fabrics.




Flowers is one of my favourites.  This is in wool felt, it was beautiful to embroider and I loved stitching it, even tho it was rather expensive.




Many moons ago I belonged to a land group and managed a monthly Wednesday Meeting.  When I left, much to my surprise the ladies had banded together and gave me a gift voucher for quite a substantial sum so I wanted to make something special with it.   So purchased the fabrics for this quilt.
Flowers from Wadham House.




It's very chilly now, the heater is on, and stitching is ready for sitting with The Scot tonight.

I guess there are some bright spots in Winter after all.

6 comments:

retdairyqueen said...

Cold and windy here to
Love all those fabulous quilts

Fiesta said...

Sheila how the month fly by!! I cannot believe it is already winter for you when just the other day the Scot was working his beautiful garden.
Your quilts are all so beautiful and you display them so well.
I have always wanted to make an hourglass quilt and I love what you did with the Australian one.
You are rich in talent.

Jules said...

Ohhh - sooooo lovely! My favourite colours in beautiful harmony - fantastic embroidery - one clever and talented pair of hands you have there - not to mention the brain power required!

Lovely, lovely, lovely...

As for the temperature - balmy.... T-shirt weather! lol Well done on your busy, productive day and Winter nest building. Snuggle up. x

Lindi said...

Lovely quilts, Sheila. Your home must look lovely and cosy warm now. :)

phil the pom said...

Hi SiS
Beautiful quilts,do you remember when you stayed with us on your visit to the old country. we went to princess Diana's home, Althorp house to view a quilt show, I think the temp, that day was around 16-18 c. and for us that was very warm,!! ah beautiful memories, great days, your work is worth a showing on its own wonderful,exquisit"cant speak high enough praise, were so proud on yer girl"your very gifted, power to your arm as we poms say PtP

Frou/ Vikki said...

Lovely quilts... and am ashamed to say my Centenary of Federation squares are still squares! Though I do finally know what I want to do with these... maybe I should aim to have it finished by 2011 and then it can be a decade long project